Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 21:25:32
> On the other hand, freebsd seems to use softdeps by default on all
> filesystems at install time. And yet there doesn't seem to be much talk

Except the root / file system. FreeBSD sysinstall doesn't use softupdates
for / by default. At first because of reliability concerns (if I remember
correctly), but now because softupdates benefit of faster write access
doesn't make much sense on a filesystem that is rarely written too (since
sysinstall creates /tmp and /var and home on separate partitions).

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/