Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 18:52:56
Sean Davis said:

>Yuck, I'd never seen that happen, or even thought about it. But it just adds
>to my bucket of reasons why I refuse to trust softdep with /, /var, anything
>the system can't live well without. Basically I look it thinking about the
>old "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" axiom: if I'm gaining such
>drastic speedups in untarring, I must be losing something else somewhere else.
>For me, that tends to manifest itself in a LOT of system lag during/after
>the untar, and that lag never happens on non-softdep'd filesystems.

On the other hand, freebsd seems to use softdeps by default on all filesystems
at install time. And yet there doesn't seem to be much talk about it on
the freebsd mailing lists or comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

I have one freebsd box here running 5.3, and it hasn't done anything strange.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>