Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@tecneeq.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 23:16:31
Hauke Fath wrote:

>>But i don't see why it should not be possible to change sysinst to use
>>softdep on the ports where it is expected to work.

> Like i386?

Works for me on mac68k (not very much tested), sparc, macppc and i386.

> There is an open issue with mpt(4) where monting disks with softdep (or
> async, in the case of an installation) will jam the machine quickly.

I must have missed that pr.

> I feel that in case of filesystem code, it's good to err on the safe side.

Agreed. But that does't mean to deny any new stuff just because it's safe
to keep the old around.

After all i get the impression NetBSD's softdep implementation is shaky
and few people trust it.

> If I want linux, I know where to find it.

I don't see what that has to do with softdeps.

Karsten

--
        Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
  ()    Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum  und Chat: www.newbie-net.de