Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@tecneeq.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 21:13:13
At 16:40 Uhr +0200 29.3.2005, Karsten Kruse wrote:
>> Obviously it's not enough that it works for you.
>> On a VAX, you're lucky if the system lives 10 minutes before it
>> crash. And that is still true in -current.
>
>I'm sorry to hear that.
>
>But i don't see why it should not be possible to change sysinst to use
>softdep on the ports where it is expected to work.

Like i386?

There is an open issue with mpt(4) where monting disks with softdep (or
async, in the case of an installation) will jam the machine quickly.

I feel that in case of filesystem code, it's good to err on the safe side.
If I want linux, I know where to find it.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email