Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@tecneeq.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 18:13:05
Michael Graff wrote:

> Try unplugging it while it's mid-build.  If that works, try it 10 times more
> at various points.  If you FS lives, cool.  Mine does not, on i386.

I guess that your writeback cache is active. In that case softdep can not
safe you from powerfailure because the disk writes when it's in the mood,
not when it got the command to write.

But even in this case a fs with softdep is safer than one without- It
safes you when you accidently press reset or a kernel-panic occurs (the
dirty stuff in the writeback cache can be written to disk as long as you
have power).

Performance is a bonus, i think the safety alone is worth it.

Karsten

--
        Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
  ()    Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum  und Chat: www.newbie-net.de