Subject: Re: A little less disappointed NetBSD newbie ;)
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/2005 00:26:21
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 02:44:32PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > But I cannot imagine why you expect that the "linux" terminal type
> > would work, ever, at all.  Where did we ever claim that it would?
>
> I just found such terminal among all the others. If it belongs to the NetBSD
> terminal emulations collection - why should I consider, it will _not_ work?

Okay. Time to step up to the bat here.
Where did you get the idea that Linux is a terminal emulation in NetBSD???
I suspect it is becuase you found it in termcap (or terminfo).
If so, you got things totally backwards.

First you find out what terminal you *really* have, and then you set the
terminal type to correctly match that, so that programs can send the right
sequences to get the effect the programmer wanted (by using the associated
termcap entry matching the terminal type you set).

The terminal type of the NetBSD console is a question of what you tell in
the configuration file to build the NetBSD kernel, and maybe something you
can adjust with wsconsctl (I haven't looked).

The termcap file holds zillion additional terminal types because people
might be using those terminal types while connecting to the NetBSD system,
and they expect that things should work with *their* terminal as well. So
wgat exist in termcap has nothing to do with what NetBSD as a system
behaves like.

	Johnny