Subject: Re: A little less disappointed NetBSD newbie ;)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 20:10:14
It occurred to me that Zbigniew Baniewski wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 02:44:32PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>> But I cannot imagine why you expect that the "linux" terminal type
>> would work, ever, at all.  Where did we ever claim that it would?
>
> I just found such terminal among all the others. If it belongs to the NetBSD
> terminal emulations collection - why should I consider, it will _not_ work?

You obviously don't understand what the terminal type means.

It is used to indicate the kind of *terminal* you're sitting on - the machine
hosting the actual keyboard and screen. If, and only if, you're logged into
a Linux console, and are logged in *remotely* to a NetBSD machine, then you
should use the "linux" terminal type. Just like you should use 'vt100' if
you're behind a VT-100.

So it makes perfect sense for NetBSD to have a Linux terminal type. Linux
machines are pretty common; chances are big that you'll end up sitting
behind one while trying to talk to a NetBSD box.