Subject: Re: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 17:20:33
It occurred to me that Zafer Aydogan wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> Yes, I prefer bash aswell. And sometimes I don't understand, why NetBSD
> is rejecting a 300K shell, but importing other things with a few MB to
> the main system.

Bash comes with a GPL license, that's why. That, and the fact that it's
a happy pkgsrc camper.

>>>mc is anything but essential. A lot of third party applications are
>>>available through pkgsrc, and there are prebuilt binairies which may be
>>>installed from ftp.netbsd.org, or a local mirror.
>>

>> mc is VERY useful
> Yes it is. Very useful and very fast.
> Should be part of the main system. (IMHO).

Again, it's a GPL abobination. And, really, it's hardly something you
really need to make up a working system.

"screen" is very useful too. So is an mp3 player, a decent IRC client,
a MUD client, and so is Samba.

But what if I really don't like mc, but prefer an alternative? What if I
really don't want mpg123? What if I really don't like ircII-epic4? What
if tinyfugue makes me scream? What if I'm not having any windows machines
in my network? Not only would we be importing software which is hardly
part of the minimum requirements of a working system, and not only would
we be importing software with licensing problems, but people would end
up installing alternatives anyway.

This is not Ubuntu linux - which comes with a myriad of useful software, but
which I had to manually delete because I personally don't like GNOME!

> But I just built a package for you, which you can download from
> here:
> http://www.aydogan.net/mc-4.6.1rc4.tgz
> Make sure you have all dependencies installed.

The dependencies are one of the reasons why there are no binaries for
"fixed" packages from the stable branch.