Subject: Re: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 07:20:26
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

>> This most likely depends upon badly created applications which assume one
>> terminal type.
>
> Possible - but still I'm reporting a problem.

And why is this "problem" a problem of NetBSD and its maintainers, and
not a problem of the badly-created applications?  Go ahead and report
problems, but report them to the right people.

> Such answer can be given to ANY user of ANY broken package from NetBSD
> packages collection.

If the package's packaging is broken, that's NetBSD's fault.  If the
underlying software itself is broken, that is someone else's fault.

Again, figure out the difference, and provide details to the people
who need to fix it.

> mc is VERY useful - and I didn't find prebuilt binary of mc. There were
> compilation problems.

"Very useful" != "essential"

Since you tried to compile it yourself, perhaps you could let us know
about the specifics of your "compilation" problems.  Most people here
would be happy to help if you give them enough information.  And, if
mc is so very useful, other people should be more than willing to help
fix the compilation problems and submit it as a working package.

>>> 12. xmradio utility seem to be broken
>> Hardly NetBSD's fault.
>
> I don't know, whether it's system fault, or maintainer's fault - just
> reporting a problem, which needs to be fixed. Or perhaps it's "my problem"
> too?

No, it's xmradio's problem.

>> Are you serious? pkgsrc may have it's difficulties, but to suggest such a
>> replacement?!
>
> Why not replace that (perhaps still not-so-very-bad) system by the better
> one - when that better one is available?

In whose opinion is your suggested replacement better?

> I'm not looking for anybody to blame - I'm looking for JRE.

Well, go look to Sun for it.  They own JRE, and they get to decide if
it canbe made available for NetBSD.

>> dd.
>
> dd? From - let's say - 6 GB hdd to 40 GB hdd, with quite different geometry?
> Thanks a lot for such "tip".
>
> Perhaps someone a little more experienced?

dump | restore ???

> You're only 50% right; yes, this was a flamish reply indeed

Nope.  He was 100% right.  And so am I.  Go ahead and bitch about
things you don't like, or be constructive and help solve them.  Or,
if your other O/S is so much better, use it and leave us alone!

:)