Subject: Re: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 16:44:24
Zbigniew Baniewski(zb@ispid.com.pl) said 2005.03.27 15:34:33 +0000:
> 1. Choosing a proper terminal type is a problem. Simply choosing "linux" is
> not a solution, because either I've got in return proper colors, but the
> screen gets ruined (ekg) - or still having proper colors, there aren't any
> "frames" (semigraphic) anymore (mp3blaster) and some function keys aren't
> working. It's very rare case, when the colours and the screen building
> both are OK (lynx).

I have never had any of these problems. My $TERM is `xterm'.

> 2. I can't understand, why <Delete> key behaves exactly just like
> <Backspace>. I prefer to have <Delete>, instead of just another <Backspace>,
> placed very close to the proper one. Is it possible?
> 3. Some keys seem to work strange.
> 4. Haven't found any way to set the key-repeat speed. Does there exist one?

Do you have a non standard keyboard layout? Read up on wsconsctl(8).

> 5. Trying several other terminal types, occasionally I've got "core dumped"
> in return, when trying to run some apps. Seems, it sometimes depends on the
> chosen terminal type.

This most likely depends upon badly created applications which assume one
terminal type.

> 6. Functionality of the "moused", when going to "copy & paste" text, is much
> less than the one of very old - well known from Linux - gpm. moused is very
> uncomfortable, but - as I can see - the only available at the moment. Or
> perhaps someone has ported gpm to NetBSD?

Wow. You use moused? Have you not heard of X?

> 7. Using my favourite text editor - joe

Well, there's your problem.

> 9. Why, as default shells, are chosen quite obsolete and uncomfortable (and
> even buggy - csh) shells like csh, ksh and sh - and the much more functional
> tcsh, bash and zsh needs to be installed additionally? I think, it should be
> quite opposite.

No. NetBSD comes standard with sh and csh. More then you'll ever need to get
pkgsrc and install your shell of choice. tcsh or bash by default would just
be bloat.

> 11. Such essential utility like mc should be available as ready-made,
> precompiled package. vfu isn't any equivalent for mc.

mc is anything but essential. A lot of third party applications are
available through pkgsrc, and there are prebuilt binairies which may be
installed from ftp.netbsd.org, or a local mirror.

> 12. xmradio utility seem to be broken (it dumps core all the time). Didn't
> compile it from sources - it does need some pounds of dev-libraries.

Hardly NetBSD's fault.

> 13. Can't watch any TV using xawtv. Didn't find the reason. Perhaps someone
> knows, what's going on?

Configuration error. I suggest you read the xawtv documentation.

> 14. Fixtv shows TV once, and - when changing the TV-system (f.e. from one
> PAL version to another) - it doesn't show anything more until I reboot whole
> system.

Fixtv error.

> 15. Couldn't it be much better to replace the whole package system with more
> functional one - perhaps to adopt the debian packaging system? Why keep the
> uncomfortable and less functional pkg? Just because NetBSD "should have
> it's own, different" packaging system? Why invent that wheel anew?

Are you serious? pkgsrc may have it's difficulties, but to suggest such a
replacement?!

> 16. Does there exist any JRE for NetBSD (as plugin for Firefox) - but not
> for using in "linux-emulation mode"?

No. Blame Sun.

> 17. Perhaps somebody can tell me the way to transfer entire installed NetBSD
> from one hdd to another (it's installed together with FreeDOS and NetBSD
> bootmanager)? Or even better: to make copy on the CD - and to install it back
> from such backup-CD to other hdd?

dd.

This has been a flamish reply to flamish remarks.

> 						Zbigniew Baniewski
	--Wouter