Subject: Re: Problems accessing anoncvs
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/2005 10:37:53
sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:

> Last time I used a cvs mirror, I wasted a lot of time tracking why
> build.sh was failing, turned out the source tree on that mirror was
> inconsistent, doing fresh 'cvs checkout' from official netbsd cvs server
> fixed all problems. From now on I avoid using mirrors :-/

I had exactly the same problems some time ago using mirror CVS servers
(fr? fi? i don't remember atm). Finally i ended up with local CVS tree
with lots of actually broken files and CVS server comments like:

cvs update: move away distrib/utils/sysinst/Makefile.inc; it is in the
way C distrib/utils/sysinst/Makefile.inc

So i had to completely re-checkout src tree from master CVS server and
this solved all problems i had with build.sh. AFAIR it was when PAM was
merged into master src tree. AFAIR master CVS at the same time had some
serious hardware problems.

I'd love to lower the load on master CVS server and use some mirror for
-current but as you understand now i'm afraid a bit to go this way.

IMHO good explanation of mirror servers politic, sync scheduler with
master CVS etc would be great and simplify their usage by users.

// wbr