Subject: Re: newfs & qemu fails
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/2005 15:05:48
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:

> <To current-users>
>
> It's a raw 1GB file created with 'qemu-img create -s 1G NetBSD'
>
> Installing -current, newfs gets a segmentation fault in the
> beginning, but 2.0-stable installs and boots up beautifully
> from the same kind of a disk image. I haven't debugged
> the newfs so I really can't say much more this time..

 	As a random test you could newfs the image with 2.0, then boot
 	up a current install image and tell it to just use the existing
 	filesystems (probably :)

> <To David>
>
> BTW, does Win XP work well on qemu in NetBSD? Are MS Office
> applications and the Internet Explorer usable? I have an
> Intel P4 3.4GHz with 1GB of memory.

 	I only have a 2GB image, so not enough space to install
 	Office.  I'm running it on a 1GB 1.5Ghz Pentium M laptop.
 	Its sluggish but bearable for the limited uses (an IE only
 	site or two, running a mobile phone unlocking program) I've
 	needed.  Its obviously much better if you can give it more
 	memory, but be wary of starting to page. Treat it as a slow
 	pentium with the world's worst performing graphics card
 	and you'll get along just fine. :)