Subject: Re: dhclient.conf and use of client-id
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/2005 01:37:35
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:00:31PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> My local network admin suggests I should be emitting a 'client-id' based on
> the MAC address of the interface I am doing DHCP on. There is a
> well-understood format for this field, based a code for the media type, and
> the MAC address either in hex, or as a string-hex value. In
> man dhclient.conf the option is noted.

Using a client-id based on (or, even worse, simpy *of*) your interface
MAC address is a really, really bad idea.  It is almost guaranteed to
cause chaos if you ever swap network cards with someone else, fatfinger
a single digit of the address, or run into a nonconformant DHCP server.

If you _must_ use a client-id, don't use your MAC address as the ID.  And
send your network administrator to the DHCP Offenders' Farm for some hard
labor; he needs it.

Thor