Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: Adrian Maier <adrian.maier@gmail.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2005 19:02:43
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 23:49 -0800, Adrian Maier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a (perhaps stupid) newbie question regarding this topic:
> if the the MTAs are removed and will be only available in pkgsrc,
> this means that if someone wants to install them needs an
> Internet connection so that the package system can download and
> compile them ?  This would be very inconvenient for those with
> dialup connections or those who have no connection at all.

pkgsrc is not Internet-connection-bounded.  You can use it with local
distfiles to build stuff on your own, or you can use prebuilt binary
packages.  The latter could be included in the CD, together with the
base install, and sysinst could ask you whether you wanted it to be
installed or not.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/