Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2005 01:02:43
In article <200503171242.02400@gryphon.flame.org>,
	Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:
> Cons:
>
> 	In order to have existing functionality, one has to install bits from
>       pkgsrc.

> 	Most of us do that anyway, but this just adds one more tool, along with
> 	tcsh, etc.

I disagree because:

1.) NetBSD should include a least basic mail functionallity in the base
    system.

2.) There is no way to install "pkgsrc" packages during basic NetBSD
    installation.

3.) A NetBSD binary release includes a mail transport agent for all
    architectures. The "pkgsrc" coverage is much worse because it
    lacks cross building support.

This proposal is actually the completely wrong solution. We need system
packages so that you can decide to install a NetBSD with the integrated
Postfix and Sendmail. People who use CUPS can deselect the printing
system and people who don't need UUCP can deselect that, too.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/