Subject: Re: segfault when build.sh compiling gcc
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2005 23:58:52
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 18:40 +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> davide wrote:
> > /usr/src/gnu/dist/gcc/libf2c/libU77/lnblnk_.c:38: internal compiler error:
> > Segmentation fault
> > Please submit a full bug report,
> > with preprocessed source if appropriate.
> > See <URL:http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/send-pr.html> for instructions.
> It means compiler crashed, probably due to internal bugs in the
> compiler. Sometimes you can restart the build and it'll carry on OK. If
> not, report the problem and hopefully someone will fix it at some point.

I have never come across a compiler crash like this that actually is a
bug in the compiler. I would say the problem is one of: heat problem,
bad RAM, bad cache or bad CPU.

Switching memory, CPU, turning off internal/external cache and running
the computer with an open case (in the middle of the coldest of
winters :-) ) will quickly show where the problem is! Running GCC is one
of the best ways to test the quality of a computer setup, IMHO.

Best regards
	Lars Nordlund