Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2005 12:08:38
--------------enig586F91FBF0E2723478194FDB

Michael Graff wrote:

>	Most people need outgoing mail, not incoming mail on thier machines, so
>	postfix/sendmail could be replaced by a nearly brain-dead outgoing mail
>	client only.
>
>	If a more featureful mailer is required, make it easier to replace the system
>	one with the package.  I have patches to use mailer.conf to do this for
>	postfix.

I like the idea of being able to easily replace the system mailer with
one from pkgsrc, but I object to not having a full-featured mailer
included in the system.  Quite often I set up limited-lifespan systems
that I would really rather not have to coordinate pkg installs for.
(Yes, sometimes I want incoming mail on these).

I'm not getting into the sendmail vs. postfix vs. whatever debate; as
long as whatever's in the base system can be made _quickly_ to work
(incoming & outgoing) from a standard install, I'm happy.  Yes, for
full-featured, Internet-accessible systems, I generally set up a mailer
from pkgsrc, but that's not pain I'll willingly undergo every time.

So, I'm intrigued by where your patches are heading, but _please_ do not
remove this functionality. (yet, anyway)

+j