Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kr=FCger?= <skrueger@meinberlikomm.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2005 20:41:59
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:32:25PM +0000, Stefan Krüger wrote:
> yeah I think everyone expects that a *BSD should have sendmail in base,
> but why do we have postfix, too? I think one MTA is enough...

And pc(1)!

I understand the notion that mail magically just should work (although
from my perspective the percentage of installations where this is possible
is tiny). But looking at the hoops we jump through to make this possible
nowadays, the effort for the minimal benefit is just ridiculous.

On all mail machines with serious mail configuration I have, none of the
MTAs in base is enough, so I use a mailer from pkgsrc.

I completely agree with the proposal.

Martin