Subject: Re: atheros short range
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Johann Franz <jfranz@thundrix.ch>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2005 00:19:56
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:24:13PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> I have troubles with an atheros board which is unusable beyond a few meters.
> It's running in 802.11g
>
> Is there any configuration tricks to get it working properly?

Yes! I had this issue, too, and frankly I still don't know for sure
what caused it, but this solved it for me:

Configure it with "media autoselect" and "mode 11b" (or whatever mode you're using).

My configuration looks like this in /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ath0="$MY_IP netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid $SSID chan $CHAN media autoselect mode 11b"
defaultroute="$ROUTER_IP"

And voila, it works (without DHCPd).