Subject: Re: atheros short range
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2005 19:10:16
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 17:01, David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:24:13PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have troubles with an atheros board which is unusable beyond a few
meters.
> > It's running in 802.11g
> >
> > Is there any configuration tricks to get it working properly?
>
> IIUC, our HAL has known issues with 802.11b & g modes.  I fully expect
> this to improve when I finish importing the new ath and net80211 from
> FreeBSD.  I don't think I will return to that task until April.

Would this affect the iwi driver as well.  I observed exactly the same
behavior on an IBM Thinkpad T42 and a Linksys WAP11 access point
(802.11b only). For more detail see:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/read.php?f=5&i=54&t=54#reply_54

I found that some versions of IBM's firmware worked much better than
others.

I ended up solving the problem by getting an 11g access point (also
Linksys) which works flawlessly.

Sverre