Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/2005 14:25:35
In message <m1DBHJq-0024fjC@building.weird.com>, "Greg A. Woods" writes:
>[ On Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 21:09:42 (-0800), Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote
>: ]
>> Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
>>
>> Thanks.  I rebuild the world periodically but the log file is always
>> several 10's of megs.  Often I can't even view the file in emacs due
>> to emacs's vm issues.  I doubt very much I'd ever see a note buried 10
>> megs into a 20 meg file.  Spot checking the file is usually done by
>> grep-ing for the string "stopped in".
>>
>> How do other folks deal with such issues?
>
>Always check for important messages _after_ you've installed a package,
>not during the install:
>
>$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info -D firefox-gtk2

That doesn't work very well for dependent packages installed
automatically -- they've long-since scrolled by.

High on my wishlists for pkgsrc: an automatically-generated log of
things I installed at the top level, so I know what to rebuild, and a
log of what gets built by any given invocation of make, for precisely
the reason I give above.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb