Subject: Re: ssh prompts passwd twice
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jeff Ito <jeffi@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2005 06:53:19
Hello,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:01:43AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed a i386 from a current snapshot build yesterday (the sources
> are 2 days old). When I connect to this box, ssh asks the passwd twice:
> SSH passphrase:
> SSH passphrase:
> Last login: Wed Mar  9 19:22:23 2005 from ducas.lip6.fr
>
> I get this for either root or a regular user, and from current, 2.0 and
> 1.6.x ssh clients.
> Anyone else seeing this ?

I had noticed the same thing a number of weeks ago with sudo, where
the behavior was the same.  It would actually prompt "SSH passphrase"
and the initial prompt never successfully authenticated me.  Recent
changes (userland built March 1), sudo (built with
PKG_OPTIONS.sudo=PAM) no longer produces this behavior.

That being said ssh is behaving as you describe, this wasnt
immediately apparent as I generally use public key authentiation for
ssh.

Jeff