Subject: Re: vmware3 on multiprocessor kernel (2.99.15)
To: Florent Parent <Florent.Parent@hexago.com>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2005 23:51:54
Florent Parent wrote:

> vmware3 and vmware-module3 from recent pkgsrc compiles ok but modules
> (vmmon) fails to load:
> LKM 'vmmon': environment compile options mismatch - LKM '', kernel
> 'MULTIPROCESSOR'
>
> Found out that using -DMULTIPROCESSOR=1 when building the lkm would
> fix the above (message from <lha@stacken.kth.se> sent on 2004-04-19).
> The resulting modules are loaded. vmnet1 interfaces shows up as expected.
>
> Start vmware, boot netbsd1.6 image, system hang. I can switch to the
> console (ctl-alt-f1) to see  timeout messages from the viaide and ex0
> ethernet drivers. System is unresponsive, need to hard reset.
>
> Question: is the emulators/vmware3-module non compatible with
> "MULTIPROCESSOR" kernel?
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone successfully using a similar
> configuration. If not, I can open a new pr.
>
> Florent
>
> .

Not sure if this was already answered by anyone else, but I've always
run only uni-processor kernels, and I noticed vmware3 doing exactly what
you described after I started enabling ACPI.  Even with recent -current
kernels, vmware3 runs fine with ACPI disabled, but I don't know if this
is an option for MP kernels.

--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.