Subject: Re: Image viewer/screengrab util (not xv)
To: stefan@net-tex.de <stefan@net-tex.de>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2005 13:15:00
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:08:50 +0100, stefan@net-tex.de <stefan@net-tex.de> wrote:

> >       I've been a happy use of xv for a long time, but given its
> >       security issues I'm (finally) looking for a replacement.
> >
> >       Does anyone have a recommendation for an image viewing util?
>
> ImageMagick will fullfill all your needs and it are commandline tools, so
> they are highly scriptable.

I evaluated ImageMagick as a replacement for XV last year and found it
quite lacking... Sure, it can probably do all the things XV can, but
it didn't have anywhere near XV's level of simplicity. I always found
XV's interface to be very straightforward - ImageMagick's is not.

This is not intended to bash ImageMagick, but at the time I needed to
open, crop, and resize over a hundred images, one by one, and xv
allowed me to do it quite quickly. ImageMagick was not up to the task.

--
Sean