Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: Asmodehn Shade <asmodehn@free.fr>
From: Denis Lagno <dlagno@mail.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2005 00:12:23
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:35:22AM +1300, Asmodehn Shade scribed:
> Denis Lagno a ?crit :
> >one more option is to build sets with
> >./build.sh <your_favorite_flags> distribution sets kernel=your_config
> >
> >then reboot to alternative system (I reboot to NetBSD residing on wd0e)
> >save your /etc files, remove base system directories,
> >untar sets with -p flag, copy kernel to /,
> >restore your /etc files, run (cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV;)
> >Of course all that can and should be automated by custom script.
> >
> >By restoring /etc files I do not mean blindly copying all /etc files,
> >but only those locally modified.  Actually I keep them symlinked
> >to other location.
> >At this stage you may want to rebuild sendmail.cf from .m4 file,
> >and other local stuff.
> >
> Just wonder what nobody here seems to used the etcupdate package... It
> is quite simple to use, and it make that update part easy. Is there
> anything you don't like about it ?

I did not tried it.  I guess most people do.

> And by the way : what are your symlinks exactely ?
>
> I use to do that but some soft complain about that config files are not
> "actual" file... can't remember which ones (postfix?) so my file remain
> in /etc, but the symlink is safe in /root. But what to do if I don't
> what those files to be deleted ?

I faced that following files cannot be symlinked:
group           ntp.drift       pwd.db
master.passwd   passwd          spwd.db

So they are just backed up and restored.
All my other locally modified files can be symlinked ok.