Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Asmodehn Shade <asmodehn@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2005 00:35:22
Denis Lagno a écrit :

>On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:49:39AM -0800, David Rio Deiros scribed:
>

>>The problem comes when I reboot the system after doing
>>
>>	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/
>>
>>Do you follow the same procedure to update your system?
>>

>one more option is to build sets with
>./build.sh <your_favorite_flags> distribution sets kernel=your_config
>
>then reboot to alternative system (I reboot to NetBSD residing on wd0e)
>save your /etc files, remove base system directories,
>untar sets with -p flag, copy kernel to /,
>restore your /etc files, run (cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV;)
>Of course all that can and should be automated by custom script.
>
>By restoring /etc files I do not mean blindly copying all /etc files,
>but only those locally modified.  Actually I keep them symlinked
>to other location.
>At this stage you may want to rebuild sendmail.cf from .m4 file,
>and other local stuff.

Hey guys,

Just wonder what nobody here seems to used the etcupdate package... It
is quite simple to use, and it make that update part easy. Is there
anything you don't like about it ?

And by the way : what are your symlinks exactely ?

I use to do that but some soft complain about that config files are not
"actual" file... can't remember which ones (postfix?) so my file remain
in /etc, but the symlink is safe in /root. But what to do if I don't
what those files to be deleted ?

Thank you for the hint

--
Asmodehn