Subject: Re: USB mouse dies
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2005 11:13:54
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:50:35 -0500 (EST)
Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org> wrote:

>    Two of my machines have USB mice.  On occasion, and without apparent
>    cause, the system will stop seeing any mouse events.  Usually,
>    unplugging the mouse and reconnecting it will solve the problem;
>    sometimes, though, I have to reboot.  Any suggestions on the cause (or
>    a fix)?
>
>    I'm running -current with xorg on new Dell Dimension 8400s, with ITAC
>    Systems Mouse-Traks.
>
> 		   --Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
>

> I see this all the time on my Toshiba notebook when there is large amounts
> of LAN activity on the wi device.  Other ethernet devices do not seem to
> trigger the problem as often, or at all.

I've noticed that placing a mini-fridge on the same power strip as my notebook
ac adapter causes the same thing to happen sometimes at exactly the moment
when the compressor cycles on. I think this has happened under windows a few
times too, so perhaps it's really a hardware problem. I use optical mice,
which I believe use about 100mA of current from the bus, so combinations
of hardware and usb peripherals which use modest amounts of juice have similar
problems.

This is just a hypothesis. I can't back it up, nor have I tested it. I can
think of a few reasons why it shouldn't be true. I do know that since
I've rearranged my power cables it happens much less freqeuntly than it used
to.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing