Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2005 10:49:39
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:35:48PM +0100, Jaka Jejcic wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:03:03AM -0800, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > I have some questions about running -current.
> > Someone told me that the best way to stay current is to just use
> > the lastest current kernel but don't recompiling/installing the
> > userland applications just that ones you specifically need.
> > It seems to me like a very wise advice. That is what I am doing.
> > I am running 2.99.16 but I have the 2.0 userlands.
>
> Well ... i do the build.sh routine every two weeks and rebuild everything
> (kernel userland and X) ... after that (if the time permits) I usualy
> cvs the latest pkgsrc and make update everything there as well, but that
> usualy doesn't work just as it is and needs minor adjustments and hence
> I skip it from time to time ;)

I had problems in the past when I tried to install the userland applications.
I follow this procedure:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating

The problem comes when I reboot the system after doing

	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/

Do you follow the same procedure to update your system?