Subject: Re: bittorrent serving of ISO images
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2005 08:42:55
--------------enig6700D5E0AE2A90F8E8B40682

Michael Graff wrote:

> I've downloaded all the .iso files (even the ones for ports I suspect
> 5 people in the world use, and they all build from scratch anyway) and
> am serving them out my DSL.
>
> I noticed that ftp.netbsd.org is not actually serving any of these
> torrents.  It seems that at least one non-rate limited seed would be
> nice, and ftp.netbsd.org seems like the logical place to do it.  If
> all the FTP mirrors could also run torrent servers they would, well,
> be mirrors.  :)
>
> --Michael

I've been trying to keep these torrents seeded from my non-rate-limited
connection as well, but have been somewhat stymied by 2.0's lack of
stability on this particular hardware.  :)  (I also began experiencing
problems when switching to btlaunchmany from just using btdownloadcurses
a number of times).  One of the things I've noticed is that it puts a
fair amount of extra load on the server - are we sure that this would be
a good thing to add to ftp.netbsd.org?  (He says, knowing almost nothing
about its hardware or current load)

On the other hand, it would be nice to get a coordinated effort in place
before the next release - when 2.0 came out, I served hundreds of
gigabytes of the more popular images in just a week or so.

+j