Subject: Re: USB mouse dies
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2005 22:52:42
In message <200503020335.j223ZjJB024510@guild.plethora.net>, Peter Seebach writ
es:
>In message <20050302032106.C86F13C023E@berkshire.machshav.com>, "Steven M. Bel
>ovin" writes:
>>Two of my machines have USB mice.  On occasion, and without apparent
>>cause, the system will stop seeing any mouse events.  Usually,
>>unplugging the mouse and reconnecting it will solve the problem;
>>sometimes, though, I have to reboot.  Any suggestions on the cause (or
>>a fix)?
>>
>>I'm running -current with xorg on new Dell Dimension 8400s, with ITAC
>>Systems Mouse-Traks.
>
>Haven't seen anything like it.  ssh in and check dmesg?

Nothing relevant.  When I unplug the mouse, I see the expected:

uhidev0: at uhub2 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
wsmouse1 detached
ums0 detached
uhidev0 detached

When I plug it back in, I either see the expected:

uhidev0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: vendor 0x0431 product 0x0000, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev0: 3 buttons
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0

or I see nothing.  In the latter case, I have to reboot....

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb