Subject: Re: where are docs for adding a new sysctl?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/2005 07:48:16
Quentin Garnier wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 04:36:03PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>

>>As I figure this out, I will documented it (unless someone points me to
>>existing howto).
>>

>NetBSD 2.0 manual pages are documented enough.  sysctl(9) for the kernel
>part, sysctl(3) and sysctl(8) for the userland.  And there are plenty of
>examples in the source tree (look for SYSCTL_SETUP).

I just want to chime in again from the perspective of someone who just
learned how to add a sysctl about a month ago, and I did it just fine
from the manpage (sysctl(9)) and looking at some code in the kernel.  It
was _much_ easier than I expected it to be, especially the cleanup.
There can always be more documentation - I suppose a HOWTO on the NetBSD
website would be OK for those unclear on the sysctl concept in the first
place - but it seems to me there are lots of other things that are in
more need of improvement.

Clearly, though, I don't get to tell anyone how to spend their time.  :-)

+j