Subject: Re: ACPI rebooting problem - SiS651
To: Mark Hurst <mark@gumrak.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/2005 13:13:17
--NG5rUlMnWRrIcOiS

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 11:01:46PM +1100, Mark Hurst wrote:
> Have searched http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/query-pr.html and could not
> find anything relevant to this problem. If i should submit a PR rather
> than post to this list, i apologise in advance.
>=20
> On a PC with a SiS 651 motherboard, having problems rebooting and
> halting using GENERIC kernel from current as of 2005-02-11.
>=20
> Running "reboot" hangs at the "rebooting" message. Running "halt" (or
> "halt -p", or "poweroff") results in "press any key to reboot", then a
> hang with a "reboot" message.

Yes, I experience that, too.  I ended up not using ACPI on that
computer.

I had the occasion to try a Linux Live CD (Knoppix IIRC), and it failed
horribly too.  I even had troubles booting anything else after that.

My guess is that the BIOS is really broken.  The motherboard is a
K7S5A.

--=20

--NG5rUlMnWRrIcOiS

--NG5rUlMnWRrIcOiS--