Subject: Re: mono experience cutting to subversion
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/2005 11:25:55
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:33:17AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:22:47AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Me too -- which makes me especially happy that I can copy the entire
> > NetBSD CVS repository to my own local systems for quick and reliable
> > access even when my ISP is scrambling their routing tables.
>
> Me too - and I never thought about this aspect in the subversion context.
> If NetBSD would switch to svn, what options would people have to completely
> mirror the repository on their local disk? I guess we won't rsync the bdb
> files?

	supposedly rsync works ok with fsfs backed repositories.  However, since
the existing fsfs files will (almost) never change and new changes just add
new files, rsync is needlessly inefficient.  There are probably better ways
to sync a svn repository.
	One effect of switching to subversion would be a decrease in flexibility
wrt what you can get.  Right now you can grab just a portion of the
repository (e.g. on src/bin/ls), but with subversion you'd be limited to
the granularity of one of the entire repositories.  i.e., you'd need to
get all of src, or all of pkgsrc, xsrc, etc...  If we switch to svn we'll need
to figure out the best way to split the existing repository into individual
svn repos.

eric