Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2005 15:37:07
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:24:17PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
> > I will repeat my question of some months ago: can anyone actually give an
> > example of a repository with anywhere near as many files and revisions as
> > ours, with a couple of hundred active developers who semi-regularly
> > check in, and well over 100 simultaneous checkouts at peak periods, that
> > is managed by Subversion?
>
> I'll give the answer I gave some months ago.
>
> There are BIGGER repositories than we have being managed, at
> commercial sites, with larger developer communities. We're not even
> close to the size of some of them. If you want more info on this, scan
> through the subversion mailing list archives, but people pipe up all
> the time with much much larger file sets than we have under version
> control.

Well, I'm not the one who's advocating the radical change, so it does
not seem to me that it behooves me to go digging around for examples.
If I weren't so busy, I would do so anyway; but I am busy, so I won't.
If you want to persuade me (and I suspect others) actual concrete
examples that match on all the parameters listed above (files and
revisions; number of read/write developers and number of simultaneous
checkouts) would go a very long way indeed to make your case.

I asked for examples before, and though I got a few assertions of
the existence of such examples, I did not actually get any specimens
of them.  This doesn't surprise me, because frankly I doubt that
Subversion in the state it was in then (particularly with the BDB
backend) was ready for that kind of use.  Perhaps things are different
now; I'll be glad enough if they are; but just taking it on faith
that that is the case is a bit too much for me, because, honestly,
I am not so much for religion in these matters.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky