Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2005 19:17:32
--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

George Michaelson on 2005-02-07 09:11:44 +1000:

> >> one corrupt bit, and you risk loosing the entire held state.=20
> >
> >Only for BDB will one corrupt screw the repository, but that's sort of
> >like saying that one corrupt bit and you risk losing an entire RCS
> >file.  It's a non-point.
>=20
> Not at all. If you loose the RCS file for bin/ls/RCS/ls.c,v .. you have
> lost one .c source.
>=20
> If you loose the fsfs/db/<xx> file, you've lost the entire repos for that
> file. All of it.
>=20
> No?

No.  Perhaps I should have been more clear - yes, you've lost a lot if
you're using BDB, but if you're using FSFS you're only losing one
commit.  FSFS uses a file to represent each revision.  Yes, that will
screw with complete checkouts, but it won't mess with updating unless
one needs that revision in order to complete the update.

> >Check out subversion's propaganda page.  Also note that samba and
> >apache projects have use subversion for over a year (I believe) -
> >that's pretty proven in my book.
>=20
> Um.. these packages  (and they are packages under /usr/pkgsrc/...) are
> *TINY* by comparison. NetBSD is carring far far more revision/variant
> information.=20

This is very true, but it still stands that major projects are using
subversion - not as major as NetBSD, but still fairly complex and
large programs.

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU--