Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: <>
From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2005 13:47:06
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:30:23 -0500, "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> Hmm -- thinking out loud...  Suppose there was a daily job that ran
> something like 'rsync -a --delete -n' or the CVS equivalent.  That
> provides a list of changed files and deleted files, or -- with CVS --
> a set of diff files plus a list of deleted files.  People could
> download that file, and use a fairly simple script to apply the patches
> and delete the dregs.

> Of course, that's not quite what you want because you'd need a sequence
> of these, going back to the last time you pulled the delta file.  You'd
> need a local state file, then pull in a sequence of files.

If I'm not mistaken, this sounds in principle to the way that CTM,
as used by the FreeBSD project, works (though I haven't used it
myself), where you are mailed a periodic set of deltas to be applied
to your source tree.  Maybe slightly different.

(sorry I don't have a spiffy pointer to exactly how it works/what it is,
but it should be easy enough to locate -- not sure if it's something
for serious consideration, though)

barry bouwsma