Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2005 19:05:35
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:52:33PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> performance given the number of users we have, it needs a huge amount
> of memory so the whole repository fits in buffer cache. This costs
> bucks. (There really is no other way to do it -- CVS thrashes on i/o
> very badly, so no real disk can possibly handle 100 simultaneous
> checkouts, and we deal with that and worse all the time.)

Maybe we should stimulate users to use the mirrors more? I don't know
about the others, but our mirror hardly sees more than 5 simultaneous
users and is often enough idle.

We like to contribute back to the Netbsd project, but just giving
money is hard. Even donating equipment (unless very old) is impossible
for us. But we typically can upgrade our mirror to handle more users.

BTW, `donating' money would be easier for us (and maybe others?)
if we could buy a `special' NetBSD CD for say a 100 euros|dollars
a piece or a CD-subscription for 100 bucks a year?

Feico.