Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kr=FCger?= <skrueger@meinberlikomm.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2005 16:20:58
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:53:43PM +0000, Stefan Krüger wrote:
> may I ask why we still use cvs to distribute the source and repository
> files? I mean cvs may be fine for developing software, but for anything
> else? FreeBSD already uses cvsup (I know, it's based on modula3 and not
> portable) and cvsync sounds also very nice (though it still doesn't
> support fetching plain source files :-(). Or even rsync?!

cvs does more than distribute the sources, it also allows to
retrive diffs between revisions, branches, commit logs, or sources from an
arbitrary date, etc ... If it's just to retrieve sources from HEAD or the
release branches, there are sup and the weekly tar files.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>