Subject: anoncvs problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2005 13:52:33
anoncvs appears to be having hardware problems yet again, possibly
with the disk controller. The admins are working on it.

BTW, now would be a great time to donate cash to help out the project
with hardware. If we could afford to have more/newer hardware, it
would be easier to deal with such situations, but that takes
money.

anoncvs is a particularly bad case because, to get even moderate
performance given the number of users we have, it needs a huge amount
of memory so the whole repository fits in buffer cache. This costs
bucks. (There really is no other way to do it -- CVS thrashes on i/o
very badly, so no real disk can possibly handle 100 simultaneous
checkouts, and we deal with that and worse all the time.)

(FYI, we probably can't make use of donations of cast off hardware for
such purposes -- we really need things to be built to spec and
of the most reliable possible components.)

Perry