Subject: Re: NFS mounting on NetBSD
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Park Chan-youn <phygeeks@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2005 11:49:56
Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Park Chan-youn <phygeeks@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>I'm trying to mount NFS on a diskless, PowerPC+Sandpoint-based system.
>>NFS server is a NetBSD on i386.
>>I've followed the whole steps in 'Diskless NetBSD Howto', but when I
>>boot my diskless system, booting stops in the middle. The following is
>>the boot message.
>

> You should look at the traffic between the two devices to see what is
> going on with the NFS connection.
>
> Try putting the NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE option in your kernel configuration -
> try 1024 as a starting setting - to prevent fragments that your
> ethernet arrangement might not be fast enough to handle (although I
> would expect a pci fxp to normally not have a problem with this).
>
>         - Nathan

Well... It WORKED! :) As you suspected, my ethernet network was not fast
enough, and I think it was because there were so many 10Mbps HUB nodes
between my system and the NFS host. So, I've brought the host next to my
system, and liked it to my system through one 100Mbps HUB. And it also
works well! In addition to that, kernel downloading speed has increased
greatly.

It is a pity that NetBSD didn't complain about it. If it did, I might be
able to save a lot of time... But I'm so happy that it works.

Thanx again for your advice.
	- phygeeks