Subject: Re: .cvsignore of *.gmo in binutils OK?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2005 01:18:25
In article <20050202192610.D89451F6F@fnord.ir.bbn.com>,
	Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
> I just imported current along the vendor branch into a CVS repository
> (that had previously had older current and then netbsd-2-0 bits).
>
> Besides the usual new files, updated files, and pseudo-conflicts, I
> had a bunch of I lines in src/gnu/dist/binutils.
> The .cvsignore file there lists *.gmo
>
> Since the .gmo files are listed as:
>
> da.gmo:          GNU message catalog (little endian), revision 0, 545 messages
>
> is it safe to presume it's an error for them to be in the NetBSD
> repository (and perhaps an error to be in binutils cvs/distfile?).

I agree that NetBSD should not be importing ".cvsignore" files.

I venture no one's really given it much thought. I certainly don't
recall it ever being discussed.

> (It also strikes me that .cvsignore files from upstream sources
> probably should be pruned before import, along with files that
> shouldn't have been in the upstream sources, but I know I'm ignorant
> of the history of why things are as they are, so this may well be
> wrong.)

".cvsignore" is the only entry in my "~/.cvsignore", so when I import
a CVS checkout into my private CVS, the ".cvsignore" files are ignored,
but also everything listed in said ".cvsignore" files is ignored.  Is
that what you mean?

Frederick