Subject: Re: rescue lossage (previously mentioned by others...)
To: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2005 09:39:20
--3607uds81ZQvwCD0

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:22:55PM -0500, J Chapman Flack wrote:
> So make is only BSD make when you use -j ... and it's only old make when
> you don't, and (this is the part that surprised me most), a lot of the
> makefiles in NetBSD require old make semantics and break under BSD make
> semantics.

Wrong.  At least, that's not how it's supposed to be, nor how it used
to be until semi-recently.  Unfortunately, some instances of
unwittingly relying on compatibility mode seem to have crept in
recently, and have gone undetected for long enough to be noticable.
Part of what has allowed this to happen is because the releng
autobuild systems have been offline due to hardware problems for a
while - they build with -j, and would have flagged these problems to
developers very quickly otherwise.

The autobuild systems are very close to being replaced, at which time
hopefully normality will return.

In the meantime (and in general) any build failure that happens with
-j and not without should be reported as a bug - either because of
make syntax, or because of missing dependencies that break a parallel
build (these can sometimes be highly timing dependant, and may not
show up except on certain systems).  Likewise, if there's a build
failure to report and you use -j, please check without and include in
the report whether that made a difference.

--
Dan.
--3607uds81ZQvwCD0

--3607uds81ZQvwCD0--