Subject: Re: rescue lossage (previously mentioned by others...)
To: Chavdar Ivanov <ci@spidersweb.co.uk>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2005 13:11:02
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:42:48PM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Sean Davis wrote:
>
> > I thought this had been fixed? At least, when I was building for sparc64, it
> > got past rescue, and then died on the tap lkm. (or does rescue happen after
> > that?)
> >
> > --- rescue ---
> > #      link  rescue/rescue
> > /nb/tools/bin/i386--netbsdelf-gcc -Wl,-nostdlib    -static -o rescue
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,/nb/destdir/lib:/nb/destdir/usr/lib  -L/nb/destdir/lib
> > -B/nb/destdir/usr/lib/ -B/nb/destdir/usr/lib/   rescue.o cat.cro chio.cro
>
> > cp: rescue: No such file or directory
> > *** [rescue.strip] Error code 1
> > 1 error
> >
> > nbmake: stopped in /usr/cvs/src/rescue
> >

> Same here. Manually running the link command creates correct
> executables. Copying this manually in the target directory
> (/usr/cvs/src/rescue in your case) lets you continue the build (in my case
> it failed again similarly in one of the floppy creation programs, so I had
> to do the same with that one; this let me more or less complete the
> release and then the ISO creation with single boot-big.fs).

Another oddity: I restarted the build with -u so that I could get to the
point where it was failing and do the link manually, but it went right past
it, and happily started installing into DESTDIR... leaving a very empty
/rescue. I'm no toolchain/build.sh guru, but that seems like a Bad Thing to
me... if it fails once, it should fail again, not look like it's working but
leave one without /rescue.

-Sean