Subject: Transmit rate of ath interface
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2005 12:00:14
Hello, all.

I am performing tests to replace an old 10BASE2 network with a
54Mbps WLAN.  The NetBSD machine in this test setup runs -current
as of 2005/01/25, with a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI card.

In the tests I've done so far, I have a Windows XP machine with a
DWL-G520+ (Texas Instruments ACX-based PCI card) talking to the
NetBSD machine in 11g ad hoc mode.  Windows claims to be talking at
54Mbps, and I am inclined to believe it, as wlanctl in the NetBSD
machine shows "[54.0]" in the "rates" line in the entry for the
interface of the Windows machine.

However, I don't know the transmit rate for the NetBSD machine it-
self, and the very low speed (slower than that of the 10BASE2 net-
work) in many different applications tested so far (e.g. FTP, HTTP,
SMB, ping etc.) makes me think that either NetBSD is operating with
low Tx rate, or Windows is lying (and wlanctl too), or 11g also
sucks.

So the question is: how can I check/change NetBSD's Tx rate?  I
don't clearly see it anywhere in wlanctl(8) manpage, nor in
ifconfig(8) or wiconfig(8).

I also would like to change the authentication type from OpenSys
to shared key.  It seems that ifconfig does not do that, and
wiconfig fails when I attempt it.

	# wiconfig ath0 -A 2
	wiconfig: SIOCSWAVELAN: Invalid argument

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.