Subject: Re: Building pkgsrc for alternative arch or OS rev?
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2005 09:12:18

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:50:45PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> as for building for an alternate arch, you can probably leverage the
> crossbuilding tools from /usr/src, but I don't know what you'd need to
> do to get pkgsrc to use those.

You can set "PKGSRC_COMPILER=distcc gcc" (or whatever, as appropriate)
on the slower machine, and configure your distcc environment to point
to a suitable cross-compiler on a faster distcc server.

All the header evaluation/preprocessing, and linking, will be done on
the native machine, and the object code will be produced by the
cross-compiler on the faster machine.

At present, there are limitations around trying to use a large pool of
distcc hosts to make compiles go faster, but this usage can be very
beneficial with a single server.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)