Subject: Re: build.sh fails in libpam
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2005 19:27:05
Hi!

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:

> In my experience most problems are fixed within minutes after they are
> discovered.

This seems to hold especially well for build-related problems. And running
or upgrading -current requires a certain mind set: anoncvs may not be in
sync with the cvs server the developers are using, what you get may just
be a partial snapshot of a larger commit, -current sees lots of changes
that temporarily break things, etc. But the process can still get annoying
at times, and most of the time one can almost see the problem, if one
turns the monitor off and stares the screen hard (with proper lighting).
;-)

I have followed a fairly simple approach, and it has worked really well
for me: if the build fails after updating sources (and checking UPDATING),
try to manually remove all old objects, .depend etc, and then re-build. If
that does not help, wait 6-12 hours, update sources again, and re-try. If
build still fails, mention the problem on current-users (unless somebody
already did that), and wait for a fix. This has not failed yet, and all it
takes is some patience.

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.