Subject: Re: mail.local
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2005 08:25:10
In article <200501181409.j0IE9Ta4016778@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>,
	jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth) writes:
>      It does just deliver mail locally.  LMTP provides a couple of
> advantages.  The first is that if a message has multiple recipients,
> sendmail can simply tell the delivery agent about all of them, and then
> let it write the message into all of the mailboxes instead of having to
> invoke a seperate copy of the delivery agent for each recipient.

That's not restricted to LMTP aware mail transport. Every mail transport
in sendmail can be configured to handle multiple recipient.

> The second is that with LMTP, the delivery agent can return more detailed
> error reports in the event of a problem.

See "/usr/include/sysexists.h".

> Hmm, a third advantage that comes to mind is that with LMTP, the deliver
>y agent can return a temporary failure

Like this?

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/pkg/bin:/sbin
export PROCMAIL=/usr/pkg/bin/procmail
if [ ! -x $PROCMAIL ]
then
 exit 75
fi

if [ `sysctl vm.loadavg | awk -F : '{print $2*100.0}'` -gt 800 ]
then
 exit 75
fi

exec $PROCMAIL $*

exit 75

If our "mail.local" would support LSMTP what would be the backend it can
talk LMTP to?

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/