Subject: Re: build.sh fails in libpam
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2005 09:04:37
Hi!

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Arto Huusko wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Havard Eidnes wrote:
>
>> You're welcome.  If you're in Finland, you might try anoncvs.fi.netbsd.org

I've used it for a couple of years now, and I have started to look for an
alternative, pretty much due to all the reasons outlined below.

> Does that really work. I've been trying to use fi-mirror for some months,
> but have always had to give up. There are several problems
>
> - The latest is that it asks you for password, and it is not "anoncvs"
>   as it used to be, nor does empty password work. That was a few weeks ago
>   when I last updated

Before Christmas it was out of sync. I tried to sync sources that had
changed several days ago, but got nothing new from there. A couple of days
later (still before Christmas) fi-mirror started to just ask those
passwords.

> - It quite often does not work, but throws "no permission", or "no
>   space left on device" errors. The latter I can understand, if things
>   are busy, the former I don't understand

> - The host's SSH fingerprint seems to change quite frequently, which
>   is not exactly trust-inspiring

Maybe two or three times per year, or at least it feels like that.
Without having the published fingerprints to compare to, one might
just as well just use pserver.

> Of course, I realize I should be complaining to admins of fi-mirror, not
> here... but just a heads up for people how might consider using that
> mirror.

I do appreciate the volunteer effort people put into maintaining these
mirrors, but if the service can not be trusted to serve, then people
will move towards services that are more reliable. I don't want to spend
hours trying to figure out which mirror might work anytime I want to
upgrade a NetBSD-current system. At the same time, I would much rather
use a close mirror than waste expensive bandwidth and overload some
central system.

> Anyway, anoncvs.se.netbsd.org seems to work very well for me.

~ "cd /usr/src; cvs -q update -dP" took over 10 hours from them in
late December. That "same" data came in less than 15 minutes from NJ, USA.
Maybe I need to try SE again.

</RANT>

Artsi

PS. build succeeded now that I had a proper source set.

--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.