Subject: Re: Linux binary emulation
To: Christian Goetz <cgoetz@pandora.be>
From: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2005 20:39:56
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:37:33 +0100
Christian Goetz <cgoetz@pandora.be> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying to find the correct way to install linux software under
> binary emulation.
>
> PATH=$PATH:/bin:/sbin
> cd /usr/pkg/emul/linux
> chroot /usr/pkg/emul/linux
> sh
> .......... and then rpm ....? (no rpm under /emul/linux/...)
>
> This seems to me a correct way to get linux software installed under
> NetBSD. I assume that the rest of packages should be fetched from
> slackware  distribution.
> Can anybody confirm that's the way to go ?

NetBSD's Linux compat uses SuSe packages. Installing Slackware packages
will probably break things. IMHO the best way to add additional Linux
software to your install is to wrap it into a pkgsrc package. That way
you'll be able to update it once a newer version comes out. There are
several examples in the pkgsrc tree of Linux apps.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org