Subject: Re: scheduler woes on MPACPI kernel
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050118T054823@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2005 06:20:23
Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd04@tiscali.de> writes:
> Two things I'd like to note here:
>
> 1. If you're really nice-ing your make process(es) to -20 (minus 20)
>     you're actually doing the exact opposite of what you wanted to do.

I think we are talking about the same thing.  From a section of my
.bashrc that hasn't been touched for quite a long time:

        alias make='nice -20 make'

The niceness polarity is such that the make is disadvantaged.

> 2. If your machine is not a real multi-processor machine (with
>     more than one physical CPU) but one of those "hyper-threading"-
>     enabled P4s, then the scheduler may not quite get things right.

The machine is a crappy uniprocessor.  I just wanted to run a
well-tested ACPI configuration and GENERIC.MPACPI was the only one I
saw.  It wasn't clear what bits I could turn off to create a fully
functional uniprocessor ACPI kernel.

Just to explain why I'm bothering with ACPI; I'm setting up a system
that will eventually be used by a very non-technical person.  I'd
really like to intercept the front-pannel power and reset buttons so I
can do a clean shutdown and have one less thing to worry about.

-wolfgang
     Hate software patents?  Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/